“MD in a Box” sounds like a new health care clinic at Wal-Mart, but is something completely different. The brainchild of Florida lawyer Dorothy Clay Sims, who became frustrated with the testimony of insurance company medical experts during depositions in her personal injury claims, MD in a Box is intended to give plaintiff lawyers an edge when deposing a defense expert.
The idea in a nutshell is that a lawyer taking a medical deposition is on a live feed with a doctor in India, who gives the lawyer tips via instant messaging on what questions to ask, and whether the testifying expert is properly explaining medical tests and studies. Here is a bit of information from the Web site:
Giving the Attorney the Competitive Edge
- Have your own doctor with you live via the internet, during deposition or even trial, while you cross-examine the opposing doctor!
- Receive private instant message communications in real time from YOUR MDinaBOX doctor suggesting follow-up questions for the doctor hired by the opposing side!
- Have a doctor available to explain medicine to you DURING TRIAL!
- Have a doctor available to do internet research for articles to use for cross-examining opposing doctor during testimony!
- Talk to a fully trained medical doctor about your cases for only $90 per hour!
- Have doctors review medical records and make suggestions regarding:
- Cross examination questions
- Have doctors explain medical reports to you on the internet (works like a phone, but it’s free) or by email all for only $90 per hour!