The Privacy Rights Clearinghouse has an excellent Web site with many helpful alerts and suggestions for consumers concerned about protecting their privacy. The site includes such things as an explanation of the top privacy issues of our times. Here is their Mission & Goals statement from the Web site:
PRC Mission & Goals
The Privacy Rights Clearinghouse (PRC) is a nonprofit consumer organization with a two-part mission — consumer information and consumer advocacy. It was established in 1992 and is based in San Diego, California. It is primarily grant-supported and serves individuals nationwide.
The PRC’s goals are to:
- Raise consumers’ awareness of how technology affects personal privacy.
- Empower consumers to take action to control their own personal information by providing practical tips on privacy protection.
- Respond to specific privacy-related complaints from consumers, intercede on their behalf, and, when appropriate, refer them to the proper organizations for further assistance.
- Document the nature of consumers’ complaints and questions about privacy in reports, testimony, and speeches and make them available to policy makers, industry representatives, consumer advocates, and the media.
- Advocate for consumers’ privacy rights in local, state, and federal public policy proceedings, including legislative testimony, regulatory agency hearings, task forces, and study commissions as well as conferences and workshops.