Call Us - We're Easy to Talk To (214) 999-9999

Link of the Day – Passport Requirements For Travel In Canada, Mexico, And The Caribbean

Do you have international travel plans in your near future? If so, you better get the most up-to-date rules about U.S. Passports. These rules seem to change frequently, with sudden delays in implementation. For the latest information, you should check the Department of State Travel Web site, but it’s a good idea to check another source as well, because that site is sometimes lacking.

Here are some excerpts from a recent CNN article on passport requirements for travel to and from Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean.

1. Get the details

If you’re a US citizen flying into the country from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda, you’ll need a passport. This rule was in effect earlier this year, but there was so much demand, the government was just inundated.

If you’re under 16 and traveling with a parent or guardian you will need to prove that you’ve at least applied for a passport.

If you’re driving across these borders or taking a cruise, you won’t need passports…yet! That’s coming next year.

2. Start the process

If you’re traveling this winter, you’ll want to get your application in now but, if you’re traveling earlier, like Thanksgiving, you’ll want to expedite the passport process.

A good rule of thumb here is that if you’re traveling in 120 days or less, you’ll want to get an expedited passport, says Terry Trippler of

According to the State Department, getting a regular passport can take six to eight weeks while an expedited passport can take 3 weeks.

Of course you’ll be paying for the convenience. An expedited passport costs about $157 for an adult, compared with the regular price of $97.

3. Know where to go

Your first step should be the State Department Web site at If you’re getting a passport for the first time, you’ll have to go to a passport acceptance facility in person.

To find out where one is located, type in your Zip code on the Web site. You’ll be given a list of places where you can pick up an application. Generally these places will include post offices, public libraries and some municipal offices. Just indicate that you want an Expedited Passport.

Now, if you’re really desperate, you may be able to get your passport in a couple of hours to a few days. For that, check out government passport agencies in your area. Go to and just type in passport agencies.

If you can get an appointment, you may be able to walk in and walk out with a passport, according to Tripper.

And if you choose to scout out online passport services, be sure you’re dealing with a legitimate company. The last thing you want is to deal with a con artist.

4. Get the status

You can always check the status of your passport online. Go to the State Department’s Web site and click on status check.

If you’re going to be needing your passport soon, you should check the status now. The State Department indicates it’ll take 7-10 days to get tracking information.

Bob Kraft

I am a Dallas, Texas lawyer who has had the privilege of helping thousands of clients since 1971 in the areas of Personal Injury law and Social Security Disability.

About This Blog

The title of this blog reflects my attitude toward those government agencies and insurance companies that routinely mistreat injured or disabled people. As a Dallas, Texas lawyer, I've spent more than 45 years trying to help those poor folk, and I have been frustrated daily by the actions of the people on the other side of their claims. (Sorry if I offended you...)

If you find this type of information interesting or helpful, please visit my law firm's main website at You will find many more articles and links. Thank you for your time.

Find us on your preferred network