None of us backs up computer files as often as recommended, but there’s a great free service that makes backing up both painless and automatic. You can get a completely free online backup of up to 2 GB from Mozy.com. That’s not enough for all your photos and video, but it’ll cover your spreadsheets and document files. If you want more storage, you can upgrade to a paid account. I’ve used Mozy for months, at the paid level, and it works great.
Remember, do request test restores. Otherwise you won’t know until it’s too late if you have a problem with your backups. Here are some of the Mozy features:
- Open/locked file support: Mozy will back up your documents whether they’re open or closed.
- 128-bit SSL encryption: The same technology used by banks secures your data during the backup process.
- 448-bit Blowfish encryption: Secures your files while in storage, providing peace of mind that your private data is safe from hackers.
- Automatic: Schedule the times to back up and MozyHome does the rest.
- New and changed file detection: MozyHome finds and saves the smallest changes.
- Backs up Outlook files: Disaster-proof email protection.
- Block-level incremental backup: After the initial backup, MozyHome only backs up files that have been added or changed, making subsequent backups lightning fast.