The Checks for Vets blog is written by Joseph S. McCarthy, who is also the author of the book Checks for Vets. Mr. McCarthy writes about various benefits to which wartime vets are entitled, especially Aid and Attendance benefits. Here are Mr. McCarthy’s goals in writing his book:
- Get the word out to wartime service veterans and their surviving spouses that there is pension money available for them in their retirement years to help them with activities of daily living (bathing, dressing, etc).
- Provide an all-in-one resource book for filing a claim for an Aid and Attendance pension or Housebound pension to eliminate the need to search multiple locations for information.
- Save veterans time, and thus money, in speeding up the filing process by explaining the often complicated forms needed to file a claim.
- Help the veteran service officers (VSOs) review more claims by educating wartime service vets and their surviving spouses on how to submit error-free pension applications to the VSOs.
- Encourage people to become veteran advocates and use Checks for Vets to inform others about veteran pension benefits.