There have been many incorrect Internet rumors about cell phones and the National Do Not Call Registry. To help clear up this confusion my friend, business litigator David Abeshouse of Uniondale, NY, sent me a copy of the consumer information that came with a new cell phone he just bought. Here are the facts:
Protect yourself from unwanted calls with the National Do Not Call Registry Program.
- FCC regulations prohibit telemarketers from using automated dialers to call wireless numbers.
- Personal wireless device users can add their wireless numbers to the National Do Not Call Registry Program.
- The federal government does not maintain a national wireless device registry.
You can register by either of the following methods:
- By wireless device: 1-888-382-1222 from the number you wish to register.
- Online at: www.donotcall.gov.
Your registration becomes effective within 31 days of signing up and is active for five years. There is no cutoff date or deadline for registering.