This guest post is from Sam Payn, who has a zeal for blogging and he has been doing it for a considerable period of time. He is mostly interested in personal injury matters and liability insurance.
Getting tips and advice from a personal injury attorney becomes essential when it comes to making a claim to an insurer. You can get compensation for intentional infliction of bodily injury and negligent infliction of emotional distress. Therefore, if you are thinking about filing a complaint in a court of law for the injury caused to you as a result of negligence of another individual, then it is crucial that you search for a dependable personal injury attorney who has considerable experience in settling personal injury matters.
How to find a reliable personal injury attorney to assist with your injury claim
1. Talk to people you know
Finding a dependable personal injury lawyer for making a claim is not so easy. Always look for recommendations from people you know, such as your friends, co-workers, and family members. Similar to finding a loan, you need to shop around to get a good lawyer for your cause. Don’t get disheartened if any lawyer refuses to take up your case because this is not something unusual. A lawyer may not be ready to take your case if your requested claim is less than a particular amount or the claim is complicated in nature. In addition, keep in mind that you should not choose an attorney only because someone you know has said something positive about him or her. If possible, meet the lawyer in person, set up an initial consultation with the lawyer and see what feedback the lawyer gives after hearing the details of your case from you. If you are convinced that the person you are talking to has the capacity to resolve your case in a satisfactory manner, then choose that lawyer.
2. Search online
There are online lawyer directories and lawyer locators where you can input your information and the personal injury attorneys in your neighborhood can get in touch with you. There are directories that contain valuable details about these law professionals, such as their academic qualifications, the number of years they have been practicing, and the charges for using their services. Obviously, these lawyers have legitimate licenses for carrying out their practices and these directories will work as useful resources to help you pick one from them.
3. Refer to the local bar association
If you find out that the attorney you are thinking about is in good standing with the bar association in your locality, then you can confidently pick him or her for filing your lawsuit. You can also talk to other lawyers to get an idea about how the professional works and what his or her success rate is.
4. Ask a number of questions
Asking questions is the key to finding a lawyer you can trust. Some of the common questions that you should ask them are listed below:
- What is the percentage of your practice which involves personal injury matters?
- For how many years have you been practicing?
- Do you frequently represent defendants or complainants? Obviously, you will not wish for your case to be represented by somebody who deals with personal injury matters but mostly represents defendants. They might have a tendency of settling the cases at a lower value with the carrier rather than getting the maximum possible claim for you.
- Would you look after my suit in person or would you assign it to somebody else who probably does not have as much experience as you? Do I have to talk to that person additionally?
- Do you have a settlement goal? Is there a possibility that I will get a higher amount than the insurer has offered?
- What is your fee? Do you offer services on the basis of a contingency fee?
Picking the best personal injury attorney CA for your needs asks for a little bit of research and negotiation. Carry all the necessary documents to the lawyer and see what the lawyer says. Check out whether the lawyer takes any initial consultation fee. If he or she asks for fees even before seeing your documents or talking to you, it is a red flag that this could be a scam.