Call Us - We're Easy to Talk To (214) 999-9999

Steps To Take If You Were Injured Because Of Someone Else’s Mistake Or Neglect

If you were injured in an accident, and that injury happened because of someone else’s mistake or neglect, you have legal options to pursue to protect your rights and obtain fair compensation for the aftermath of that accident. The first thing that usually happens, especially if the accident involved vehicles, is to make a police report. Next, most people will seek medical help and treatment for their injuries. Depending on the situation, there may be witnesses around, and others may ask you about your injury. Here is where you need to know in advance about what steps to take if you are injured due to another person’s mistake or negligence.

Do Not Discuss Details With All Parties

Most important, do not discuss your injuries with anyone other than your doctor and your personal injury attorney. This is the best way to protect your rights and get compensation for those injuries. If you discuss the injuries with an insurance adjustor, it could jeopardize your ability to make claims later on. Someone might hear a different version of your story or remember details differently, so telling everyone the details about the incident could hurt you in the end.

Contact An Attorney

One of the most important things you can do is contact a personal injury attorney immediately. They can help you with the information and paperwork you need to provide. They are very informed and familiar with all the laws, so you can get a settlement quicker and easier. Be sure to find someone you can trust, suggest the professionals at Dietrich Law.

Gather Information From Witnesses

Get information, if possible, about any witnesses that might have seen the accident happen. If you are injured at work, your co-workers are protected also by laws against retaliation if they speak up against the company and in your favor. They can help determine if there were adequate safety regulations in place, and can help your case if they saw what exactly happened at the time you were injured.

Keep Reports And Records

Obtain copies of your medical reports and police records or accident photographs if you can. If you cannot, your personal injury attorney can do that for you. Be sure to keep a good record of any medical bills and visits, and keep a copy of all receipts so you can receive the compensation you deserve.

Detail All Expenses

All accident related expenses, including wage losses, should be recorded. It’s important to keep a good record of how much time you have missed at work, medical bills and more. If you cannot work because of your injury, there may be money for compensation. As soon as possible, consult with your personal injury attorney about the accident and your damage claims to determine which course of legal action will bring you best results.

Of course, you want to find a highly experienced personal injury attorney to handle your case for the best outcome. You could be able to gain compensation for all accident-related expenses, lost wages and future expenses. Your attorney can bring in expert witnesses who can calculate things like pain, suffering and loss of future income. They are best qualified to provide the legal advice you need, so call them immediately to get started on your way to recovery.

This article is courtesy of Anita Ginsburg, a freelance writer from Denver who often writes about home, family, law and business. A mother of two, she enjoys traveling with her family when she isn’t writing.

Bob Kraft

I am a Dallas, Texas lawyer who has had the privilege of helping thousands of clients since 1971 in the areas of Personal Injury law and Social Security Disability.

About This Blog

The title of this blog reflects my attitude toward those government agencies and insurance companies that routinely mistreat injured or disabled people. As a Dallas, Texas lawyer, I've spent more than 45 years trying to help those poor folk, and I have been frustrated daily by the actions of the people on the other side of their claims. (Sorry if I offended you...)

If you find this type of information interesting or helpful, please visit my law firm's main website at You will find many more articles and links. Thank you for your time.

Find us on your preferred network