Call Us - We're Easy to Talk To (214) 999-9999

What Can You Do If You Were Injured In A Hit And Run Accident?

Hit-and-runs happen with frightening regularity across the country. The victim is often left injured and stunned. For one reason or another, the perpetrator simply drives off. If you’re involved in a hit-and-run, you’re not in a helpless legal position. Taking these steps can help:

Call 911

You’ll want an assessment on the scene by police so you can get as much of a liability and damage assessment as possible. It’s also not unusual for a hit-and-run driver to get into another collision and completely disable their vehicle shortly after a first collision. If that happens, police might be able to determine the identities of the driver and vehicle owner.

Get to a hospital

When the 911 operator asks if you want medical assistance, tell them that indeed you’re injured and need it. Paramedics will do a full injury evaluation on you and document your injuries. That’s the first step in your injury case. They’ll transport you to an emergency room for further evaluation and treatment. That’s the important second step in documenting injuries.

Notify your insurer

Contact your insurance company immediately and tell them that you were involved in a hit-and-run collision. Give them any information they might need. Under the terms of your policy they’re entitled to notice of the accident as soon as possible so that they might conduct their own investigation.

Consult with a personal injury attorney

The fact that you were involved in a hit-and-run with an unidentified driver doesn’t bar you from compensation for your injuries. It’s important to speak with an attorney to help you understand the legal details. They have the knowledge and expertise to speed up the process and get you the compensation you deserve.

Medical appointments

You’ll probably have further medical appointments with doctors and therapists. Follow up with these and be sure to attend each and every appointment. You don’t want any gaps in treatment. In evaluating your uninsured motorist claim, your insurer will question any gaps in your treatment.

Update your attorney

If you are referred by one physician for tests elsewhere, or if you were referred to another physician, keep your attorney advised so that medical records and bills can be obtained. This can operate to speed up your claim significantly. When you’re discharged from medical care, advise your attorney of that fact.

All is not lost when you’re involved in a hit-and-run collision. Follow these tips to help you get the help and care you need during this time.

Informational credit to Bachus & Schanker Law.

This article is courtesy of Anita Ginsburg, a freelance writer from Denver who often writes about home, family, law and business. A mother of two, she enjoys traveling with her family when she isn’t writing.

Bob Kraft

I am a Dallas, Texas lawyer who has had the privilege of helping thousands of clients since 1971 in the areas of Personal Injury law and Social Security Disability.

About This Blog

The title of this blog reflects my attitude toward those government agencies and insurance companies that routinely mistreat injured or disabled people. As a Dallas, Texas lawyer, I've spent more than 45 years trying to help those poor folk, and I have been frustrated daily by the actions of the people on the other side of their claims. (Sorry if I offended you...)

If you find this type of information interesting or helpful, please visit my law firm's main website at You will find many more articles and links. Thank you for your time.

Find us on your preferred network