Call Us - We're Easy to Talk To (214) 999-9999

Injured on a Commercial Property: Can You File a Lawsuit?

Commercial property owners have a duty to ensure that their properties are safe for the public. Thus, if you are injured on a commercial property, you may be able to recover damages for your injuries from the property owner in a premises liability lawsuit.

Your Rights May Vary Depending on Your Legal Status

The level of care owed to a visitor to a commercial property depends on whether the visitor is an invitee, licensee or trespasser. An invitee is an individual the property owner has invited onto the property. Customers of a commercial business are considered invitees. A licensee is a person who is present with the consent of the property owner, but who the property owner has not invited, such as a family friend who has permission to use the property at their pleasure. Commercial property owners owe the highest level of care towards invitees, while trespassers are afforded the lowest level of legal protection.

You Can Recover for a Variety of Injuries

While most people are aware that they may recover losses for injuries from a slip and fall at a commercial property, many are surprised that they may also recover for a variety of other injuries. Though slip and falls are the most common injuries, plaintiffs can also recover for a variety of injuries, including injuries arising from assault and batteries, toxic fumes and accidents on elevators and escalators.

Take Steps to Preserve Evidence Immediately If Injured on a Commercial Property

If you are injured on a commercial property, you should take steps immediately to preserve evidence, even if you are unsure you may wish to file suit. Your ability to recover will depend on the evidence collected of the conditions on the property at the time you were injured. You should take pictures or have someone else do it for you if you are unable to do so. Obtain the names and contact information for people who witnessed your injuries.

Seek Legal Help If In Doubt

You should seek legal help from Bullock Law Group or another specialty firm if you have been injured on a commercial property, even if you don’t believe you have a right to recover damages. Premises liability law is very complex and fact intensive. Under certain circumstances, property owners may be liable for injuries to trespassers. An experienced attorney can assist you in determining whether you have a viable claim.

Time is of the essence when you have been injured on a commercial property. You should contact an experienced attorney right away to maximize your chances of recovering for your injuries.

Author information: Anica Oaks is a professional content and copywriter who graduated from the University of San Francisco. She loves dogs, the ocean, and anything outdoor-related. She was raised in a big family, so she’s used to putting things to a vote. Also, cartwheels are her specialty. You can connect with Anica here.

Bob Kraft

I am a Dallas, Texas lawyer who has had the privilege of helping thousands of clients since 1971 in the areas of Personal Injury law and Social Security Disability.

About This Blog

The title of this blog reflects my attitude toward those government agencies and insurance companies that routinely mistreat injured or disabled people. As a Dallas, Texas lawyer, I've spent more than 45 years trying to help those poor folk, and I have been frustrated daily by the actions of the people on the other side of their claims. (Sorry if I offended you...)

If you find this type of information interesting or helpful, please visit my law firm's main website at You will find many more articles and links. Thank you for your time.

Find us on your preferred network