Call Us - We're Easy to Talk To (214) 999-9999

4 Tips For Moving Forward After Being Injured On Someone Else’s Property

If you have been injured while walking in a grocery store, at a stadium or while at your neighbor’s house for a cookout, your life may be altered significantly. However, there are things that you can do to make it easier to move on with your life. Let’s take a look at some specific ways to react after an injury on someone else’s property.

Go To The Doctor

The first thing that you want to do after suffering an injury is to seek medical treatment. Even if you think that your injuries are minor, they could become worse if they are not treated right away. For example, failing to clean a small cut could lead to an infection that spreads throughout the body. Cat and dog bites are especially likely to cause an infection no matter how small they are.

Contact Your Insurance Company

If you have medical insurance, you may be able to file a claim to defray some of the medical bills that you incur immediately after getting hurt. In some cases, the insurance company will opt to defend itself against the other property owner in court. You may also want to talk to your insurance company about delaying payment for services rendered until after your civil case is resolved.

Talk To An Attorney

It is always a good idea to talk to an attorney, like the professionals at Bennett & Sharp PLLC, after you have been hurt. He or she can talk more about preserving your rights as well as what you can expect from the legal process. Legal counsel may be able to work with the defendant’s attorney to negotiate a settlement in your case. This may allow you to get the money necessary to pay bills or otherwise stay afloat financially if you can’t work.

Find Ways To Modify Your Lifestyle

Depending on how badly you were hurt, it may be necessary to make changes to your lifestyle. This may mean renovating your home to keep everything on the same floor or learning how to use a wheelchair. It may be a good idea to talk to a therapist to help you cope with the changes in your life.

If you have been injured on someone else’s property, it is critical that you look out for your best interests moving forward. This typically means finding an attorney, filing a lawsuit and pursuing the compensation that you need to ensure that you and your family are taken care of.

Author Bio: Emma Sturgis is a freelance writer living in Boston, MA. When not writing, she enjoys reading and indoor rock climbing. Find her on Google +

Bob Kraft

I am a Dallas, Texas lawyer who has had the privilege of helping thousands of clients since 1971 in the areas of Personal Injury law and Social Security Disability.

About This Blog

The title of this blog reflects my attitude toward those government agencies and insurance companies that routinely mistreat injured or disabled people. As a Dallas, Texas lawyer, I've spent more than 45 years trying to help those poor folk, and I have been frustrated daily by the actions of the people on the other side of their claims. (Sorry if I offended you...)

If you find this type of information interesting or helpful, please visit my law firm's main website at You will find many more articles and links. Thank you for your time.

Find us on your preferred network