Call Us - We're Easy to Talk To (214) 999-9999

Know Your Rights: 4 Ways To Protect Your Rights After Being Hit By A Drunk Driver

If you have been hit by a drunk driver, you could face a mountain of medical and property repair bills. The good news is that you have the right to seek compensation for your injuries and the cost of repairing any property damaged in an accident. What are some ways that you can protect your rights after being hurt in an accident caused by an impaired driver?

Hire An Attorney

The first thing that you want to do is hire legal counsel who can help you with the nuances of the law. He or she will make sure that a personal injury lawsuit is filed on time, and he or she can help you gather evidence to support your case. Furthermore, an attorney may be able to negotiate a settlement on your behalf while you recover from your injuries.

See A Doctor

If you don’t see a doctor immediately after the accident, it could be used as evidence that your injuries weren’t caused in the crash. Make it a point to head to the emergency room or to see your doctor as soon as possible. In the event that your injuries are severe, you will likely be taken directly to the hospital.

Don’t Talk About The Case

It is critical that you say as little as possible about the case to anyone other than your attorney. This means that you don’t say anything to your parents, to your kids or to your close friends. You also don’t want to say anything to the legal counsel or insurance company for the driver who hurt you. Consult with your attorney to make sure that you know who it’s okay to talk to before the case and what information is okay to disclose.

Gather Your Own Evidence

While your attorney will be able to help gather statements or physical evidence, you should do as much of the legwork as possible. Taking pictures at the accident scene or asking for witness statements while their memories are still fresh may confirm your version of events in a way that nothing else can or will.

If you have been hurt by a drunk driver, you deserve all the compensation called for by state law. A financial award may not heal your physical or emotional wounds, but it may help pay for any medical bills that arose from being injured in the crash.

Emma is a freelance writer currently living in Boston, MA. She writes most often on education and business. For law professionals, Emma recommends Thomas A Corletta. To see more from Emma, say hi on Twitter @EmmaSturgis2

Bob Kraft

I am a Dallas, Texas lawyer who has had the privilege of helping thousands of clients since 1971 in the areas of Personal Injury law and Social Security Disability.

About This Blog

The title of this blog reflects my attitude toward those government agencies and insurance companies that routinely mistreat injured or disabled people. As a Dallas, Texas lawyer, I've spent more than 45 years trying to help those poor folk, and I have been frustrated daily by the actions of the people on the other side of their claims. (Sorry if I offended you...)

If you find this type of information interesting or helpful, please visit my law firm's main website at You will find many more articles and links. Thank you for your time.

Find us on your preferred network