Call Us - We're Easy to Talk To (214) 999-9999

What to Do When You’ve Been Involved in a Construction-Related Accident

Construction sites may mean jobs for thousands of workers and a signal that a town or city is growing again. However, those who work in or travel near construction sites may be at a higher risk of injury. Let’s take a look at what you can do if you are hurt in a construction-related accident.

Your Status Determines What Case You File

If you were working on a construction site at the time of the accident, you will be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits. If you were visiting the site or simply passing by when you were hurt, it may be possible to file a personal injury case. As a general rule, you can get more from a personal injury case, but you must file for workers’ compensation benefits unless the injury was caused by gross negligence.

Talk With an Attorney

Whenever you are hurt through no fault of your own, it is important that you talk with an attorney. An attorney may be able to review your case and give you advice as to how to proceed. Depending on the strength of your case, it may be possible to get a sizable financial award though a negotiated settlement as opposed to going to trial.

Focus on Your Recovery

After you have been hurt, your sole focus should be on recovering from your injury. This means that you should follow your doctor’s orders to the letter whether that means staying in bed or rehabbing the day after your injuries occur. Staying focused on getting better will prevent you from thinking negative thoughts or talking about the case with anyone other than your attorney.

Get Counseling If Necessary

After a fall, being hit with a crane or any other significant accident, it is normal to replay the incident in your mind. It is also normal to have nightmares or others symptoms of PTSD. It may also be possible that you have trouble coming to grips with injuries that may reduce your quality of life. Talking to a counselor can help you process your feelings and find a new purpose in your life despite potential physical limitations.

If you have been hurt on or near a construction site, you may be entitled to compensation or other relief. Hiring an attorney may make it easier to focus on your recovery while someone else preserves your legal rights and works to hold the person or entity liable for what happened to you.

Author Info: Hannah Whittenly is a freelance writer and mother of two from Sacramento, CA. She enjoys kayaking and reading books by the lake. You can find her on Twitter.

Bob Kraft

I am a Dallas, Texas lawyer who has had the privilege of helping thousands of clients since 1971 in the areas of Personal Injury law and Social Security Disability.

About This Blog

The title of this blog reflects my attitude toward those government agencies and insurance companies that routinely mistreat injured or disabled people. As a Dallas, Texas lawyer, I've spent more than 45 years trying to help those poor folk, and I have been frustrated daily by the actions of the people on the other side of their claims. (Sorry if I offended you...)

If you find this type of information interesting or helpful, please visit my law firm's main website at You will find many more articles and links. Thank you for your time.

Find us on your preferred network