Call Us - We're Easy to Talk To (214) 999-9999

Hurt on the Job? 5 Steps to Take After a Workplace Injury

Workplace accidents can happen at any time and it is best for workers to know how best to proceed with filing a workers’ compensation case. It’s essential that workers, particularly with the assistance of a workers’ compensation attorney, seek reimbursement for medical bills for any injuries sustained during work, as well as any lost wages. Read on for the five best tips on what to do if you or a loved one has been injured on the job.

Report All Injuries

It’s essential for workers to report all accidents to their company as soon as possible. Oftentimes, employers and employees’ compensation insurance businesses attempt to deny workers’ claims when the harm has not been reported.

Inform Your Healthcare Provider of Your Injury

The very first time you receive any medical attention for an injury received on the job, it is incredibly important to alert your physician that your accident is related to work. It’s also wise to ensure that your physician records this information for your notes as well. Oftentimes, employers and employees’ compensation insurance companies will attempt to deny these claims in the event the doctor’s note doesn’t include any details stating that the injury is from an accident at work.

Provide Your Company with a Written Note

Many states require you to have written proof of injury. This form will have a description of your accident along with the date of the accident. Once you return to work, be sure to give this form to your superiors, while keeping a copy for your own records.

Record Everything As Your Recover

As you recover, you should keep track of all the details. That includes recording all your traveling, work-related out-of-pocket expenses, missed days of work, and anything similar. If the employer is to get a total of 21 days from work, the worker has to be compensated upon the seventh day in some states. This is generally called the seven-day “waiting period” for commission payments.

Hire a Workers’ Compensation Lawyer

Navigating throughout the employees’ compensation procedure can be stressful and confusing. Insurance adjusters are trained to take statements which may be used on your claim against you. Attorneys at law firms like Sackstein, Sackstein & Lee, LLP can be helpful if you’d like assistance filing your employees’ compensation case.

No one expects to be injured while they are doing their job, but it is best to be prepared for anything. Having an experienced attorney will come in handy in the event of an unexpected injury and will help you move past the pain of getting the compensation you have earned.

About the Author: Lizzie Weakley is a freelance writer from Columbus, Ohio. She went to college at The Ohio State University where she studied communications. In her free time, she enjoys the outdoors and long walks in the park with her husky Snowball. You can find her on Twitter at @LizzieWeakley and on Facebook at

Bob Kraft

I am a Dallas, Texas lawyer who has had the privilege of helping thousands of clients since 1971 in the areas of Personal Injury law and Social Security Disability.

About This Blog

The title of this blog reflects my attitude toward those government agencies and insurance companies that routinely mistreat injured or disabled people. As a Dallas, Texas lawyer, I've spent more than 45 years trying to help those poor folk, and I have been frustrated daily by the actions of the people on the other side of their claims. (Sorry if I offended you...)

If you find this type of information interesting or helpful, please visit my law firm's main website at You will find many more articles and links. Thank you for your time.

Find us on your preferred network