Tips from the City of Dallas for preventing package theft during the holidays.
We’re entering the biggest shopping season of the year. Unfortunately, this is also prime season for package thieves. The City of Dallas Code Compliance Services reminds you, as you’re making online purchases over the next few weeks, to follow these tips to avoid becoming the victim of package theft.
1. Sign up for delivery alerts so you know when your delivery is scheduled – and when the package has been delivered.
2. If you’re not able to be home when a package will be delivered, ask a trusted neighbor to hold it for you.
3. If possible, require a signature for all deliveries.
4. Consider shipping packages to your place of work or use the ship-to-store option.
5. Be a good neighbor! If you see a package on your neighbor’s doorstep, reach out to them and ask if they would like you to hold it until they are home. Also, if you work from home, you may post on Nextdoor and offer to help your neighbors.
If you do have any packages stolen, first contact 911 and then check with your neighbors on Nextdoor to see if they saw anything suspicious.