Call Us - We're Easy to Talk To (214) 999-9999

Hurt on the Job: Your Guide to Workers’ Compensation

It is an unfortunate fact that countless workplace injuries take place every single year, and one of those mishaps can bring an employee’s life to a grinding halt. No matter how careful you try to be, it is important to remember that these accidents can happen to anyone in any industry. Here is a quick look at three common work-related scenarios that employees and their loved ones should be ready to deal with.

Minor Injuries

Overexertion is one of the most common causes of minor workplace injuries. For aches, sprains, and strains, you should notify your immediate supervisor or the HR department before heading to the hospital. Once you are at the hospital, you must write down as much information as possible regarding your diagnosis and any treatments that you receive.

That information will then be used by your HR department to determine if you qualify for some type of compensation. Luckily, most minor injuries will heal on their own as long as you give your body a chance to recover.

Major Injuries

An employee should immediately call an ambulance or head to the hospital when a major injury occurs. That includes head trauma, fractures, muscle tears, the inhalation of toxic chemicals, and any damage to one’s organs. Those types of injuries must be treated immediately if you want to avoid lifelong complications.

If you are severely hurt on the job and find yourself in an emergency situation, your immediate supervisor should notify the HR team. If you are hurt over time and are capable of notifying HR yourself, do so as soon as possible. The sooner the proper notifications are made, the sooner a report can be filed. After they file the report, you should receive compensation while you are recovering from your injury.

Dealing With a Workplace Death

Losing a loved one to a workplace accident is always going to be devastating, and many grieving families don’t know where to turn for help. The first thing that a family must do is collect as much information as possible about the accident. That data will be invaluable if the death benefits are denied for any reason. Family members also need to seek out emotional support to help them cope with their loss. A mental health specialist will be able to help you work through your emotions so that you can eventually move on with your life.

If you ever feel as if you are being mistreated by your employer after a workplace injury, then you need to contact a compensation lawyerwho has experience dealing with workers’ compensation cases. Your attorney will build a solid case so that you can continue to focus on your recovery. If you are unsure of what to do or how to move forward, consult with a lawyer about your situation.

This article was written by Dixie Somers, a freelance writer who loves to write for business, finance, and family issues. She lives in Arizona with her husband and three beautiful daughters. You can find Dixie on Facebook.

Bob Kraft

I am a Dallas, Texas lawyer who has had the privilege of helping thousands of clients since 1971 in the areas of Personal Injury law and Social Security Disability.

About This Blog

The title of this blog reflects my attitude toward those government agencies and insurance companies that routinely mistreat injured or disabled people. As a Dallas, Texas lawyer, I've spent more than 45 years trying to help those poor folk, and I have been frustrated daily by the actions of the people on the other side of their claims. (Sorry if I offended you...)

If you find this type of information interesting or helpful, please visit my law firm's main website at You will find many more articles and links. Thank you for your time.

Find us on your preferred network