Call Us - We're Easy to Talk To (214) 999-9999

4 Financial Resources an Attorney Can Help You Find After Your Disability

It is not easy to stay afloat if you cannot work due to a disability. If you are waiting for the Social Security Administration to make a decision on your disability application, it is even worse. Although there are some financial resources available, there is no program that helps you financially while you are waiting on your disability claim. Here are four resources that can help you.

Work While You Wait

You may need to work while you wait for your claim. You can work and file a claim at the same time. However, if you work too much and earn too much money, it could put your application in jeopardy. The Social Security Administration has income thresholds that you cannot exceed if you work while you wait. Here is where qualified disability lawyers can help you determine what kind of work you can do and how much you can earn.

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

You may qualify for temporary assistance while you wait for a decision. TANF is a state-based program that helps low-income people with children stay self-sufficient. Some states offer General Relief or General Assistance if you have filed a social security claim. You might be eligible for a monthly cash payment, but how much you will get paid and for how long varies by state.

Supplement Nutrition Assistance Program

Also known as food stamps, this program helps low-income individuals and families buy food. However, the SNAP Program has strict income limits. If you are the only one applying for disability benefits and do not work, you will probably qualify. If your spouse or another member of the household works, you might not qualify if their income exceeds the limits. Qualified disability attorneys can help you with the SNAP Program.

Other Government Programs

While you wait for a decision, you should apply for every government program currently available for low-income Americans. Some states now offer temporary unemployment if you have filed a disability claim. Other states provide temporary disability programs where you will get paid a portion of the income you earned when you worked.

If you are experiencing financial hardships, you can ask for a forbearance if you have a mortgage, or you can apply for a cash-out refinance if you have equity built up in your home. Personal loans are an option, but you could put yourself in financial jeopardy if you take on too much debt.

Author information: Anica Oaks is a professional content and copywriter who graduated from the University of San Francisco. She loves dogs, the ocean, and anything outdoor-related. She was raised in a big family, so she’s used to putting things to a vote. Also, cartwheels are her specialty. You can connect with Anica here.

Bob Kraft

I am a Dallas, Texas lawyer who has had the privilege of helping thousands of clients since 1971 in the areas of Personal Injury law and Social Security Disability.

About This Blog

The title of this blog reflects my attitude toward those government agencies and insurance companies that routinely mistreat injured or disabled people. As a Dallas, Texas lawyer, I've spent more than 45 years trying to help those poor folk, and I have been frustrated daily by the actions of the people on the other side of their claims. (Sorry if I offended you...)

If you find this type of information interesting or helpful, please visit my law firm's main website at You will find many more articles and links. Thank you for your time.

Find us on your preferred network