Call Us - We're Easy to Talk To (214) 999-9999

What to Do If You Are Injured by a Government-Owned Vehicle

Being injured by a government vehicle, like a postal truck or fleet vehicle, makes it more difficult to receive fair compensation. You need to know the right way to go about making your claim in order to be taken seriously. Here are the steps that you need to follow in order to file a report and have a chance of winning your case.

Determine Fault

The type of accident that caused your injury can change the method in which you file your claim. Another thing to consider is which government-owned the vehicle. A claim against a foreign government is harder to prove because of immunity laws. Where and how you were injured needs to be taken into account. Try to write down the circumstances of the accident and if anyone witnessed it. If you require medical attention, keep detailed records to help with your case.

Know the Law

Do some research on the laws surrounding accidents involving government-owned vehicles. There are legal precedents that may come into play that can help or hurt your claim. If there was property damage, this could change the outcome. In some instances, you may be able to sue the driver of the vehicle directly if they were using the vehicle for personal use. The circumstances surrounding the causes of the accident may also dictate the end result.

Hire an Attorney

Hiring an attorney that has experience with car accident law is your best bet for a successful result. The attorney will be able to help you through the complicated laws that surround each type of situation. You don’t want to be stuck trying to heal while making a claim against someone who has the government on their side. This can leave you in a no-win situation that could result in you losing out on compensation for your injuries, damage to your property, or any other incidentals that occurred.

Compile Facts

You have to move fast when it comes to filing a claim with a government vehicular accident. Missing the deadline could mean that you don’t have any leverage in your case. Another thing to consider is that if you want to settle, you may need to devise a monetary figure upfront. This is different than in a civil case where the judge may decide on the degree of financial support in which you’re entitled.

Act quickly following an accident with a government-owned vehicle. Use these tips in order to receive the compensation that you deserve while recovering from your injuries.

Brooke Chaplan is a freelance writer and blogger. She lives and works out of her home in Los Lunas, New Mexico. She loves the outdoors and spends most of her time hiking, biking, and gardening. For more information, contact Brooke via Facebook at or Twitter @BrookeChaplan

Bob Kraft

I am a Dallas, Texas lawyer who has had the privilege of helping thousands of clients since 1971 in the areas of Personal Injury law and Social Security Disability.

About This Blog

The title of this blog reflects my attitude toward those government agencies and insurance companies that routinely mistreat injured or disabled people. As a Dallas, Texas lawyer, I've spent more than 45 years trying to help those poor folk, and I have been frustrated daily by the actions of the people on the other side of their claims. (Sorry if I offended you...)

If you find this type of information interesting or helpful, please visit my law firm's main website at You will find many more articles and links. Thank you for your time.

Find us on your preferred network