Call Us - We're Easy to Talk To (214) 999-9999

Injured by Someone Else? Here’s How You Should Proceed

When you’ve been injured in an accident, your world has been turned upside down. You may be in shock, dealing with pain from injuries, and not sure what to do next. You will receive calls from the other party’s insurance company, and they will push you to settle the claim. Though your world is spinning, it’s imperative to follow these steps.

Never Admit Fault or Give a Statement

You mustn’t discuss the details of your case with the other party’s insurance company or anyone else. Remember that anything you say can and will be used against you, and people often speak about things as they see them and not as they happened. When it comes to making a police report, don’t admit fault to the accident. The officers will determine who is at fault based on the schematics.

Seek Medical Attention

Even if you feel your injuries are minor or soft tissue related, you must seek medical care right away. If you deny medical treatment at the scene, make sure you go to your family doctor or the emergency room within 24 hours. Should you need to file a claim to be reimbursed for your injuries, your personal injury attorney will need these medical bills as a basis.

Don’t Try to Negotiate Without Legal Assistance

Insurance companies don’t want to deal with an attorney because they know that they will need to pay much more to resolve the issue. They will do everything they can to help you quickly settle the claim. You don’t want to make a deal too soon as your medical expenses may not be fully known. Plus, the insurance companies will do anything they can to keep from paying you what is rightfully due.

The Law Limits the Time You Can File

Don’t delay in filing a claim for an accident caused by the neglect of someone else. The law dictates how much time you must file, and for most areas, you have two years. If you don’t file within these time perimeters, then your case won’t be heard in court. Check your local statute for more information.

Having an accident or being injured at the hands of someone else is a devastating experience. Once you get your police report, you should contact an attorney for help. They can assist you in getting the compensation you deserve. While they can’t take away your injuries, having the money to cover lost wages, as well as pain and suffering, can help.

Author information: Lizzie Weakley is a freelance writer from Columbus, Ohio. In her free time, she enjoys the outdoors and walks in the park with her three-year-old husky, Snowball.

Bob Kraft

I am a Dallas, Texas lawyer who has had the privilege of helping thousands of clients since 1971 in the areas of Personal Injury law and Social Security Disability.

About This Blog

The title of this blog reflects my attitude toward those government agencies and insurance companies that routinely mistreat injured or disabled people. As a Dallas, Texas lawyer, I've spent more than 45 years trying to help those poor folk, and I have been frustrated daily by the actions of the people on the other side of their claims. (Sorry if I offended you...)

If you find this type of information interesting or helpful, please visit my law firm's main website at You will find many more articles and links. Thank you for your time.

Find us on your preferred network