Call Us - We're Easy to Talk To (214) 999-9999

4 Things to Do When You’re Injured by a Company-Owned Vehicle

Most everyone has been or will be in an auto accident at some point in their lives. If you’ve experienced this before, you’ve probably had to file for a personal injury settlement. However, if you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident with a company-owned vehicle, the process is a little different. Here are the most important 4 things for you to do.

Consult With and Retain an Attorney

Your first move should be to consult with and retain an experienced personal injury attorney. Personal injury attorneys handle matters where individuals are injured by company-owned vehicles on a daily basis. These types of matters are different from garden-variety motor vehicle accidents in that the vehicle is typically a commercial vehicle with higher limits of insurance and different types of coverages. Only an experienced personal injury attorney should be trusted to properly handle such a matter on behalf of an injured party.

An attorney will be able to walk you through the process of personal injury law. They will also be able to file a claim with the responsible insurance carrier and successfully advocate on behalf of the injured party. It is the attorney’s job to notify the responsible parties’ insurance carrier that their client has been injured. After that, they should continuously follow up with medical records and a demand for settlement. If a reasonable settlement cannot be reached, the attorney must file a lawsuit on behalf of the injured party so as to protect their rights.

File a Claim With the Insurance Carrier for the Vehicle

It is imperative that a written claim be filed immediately with the insurance carrier for the offending vehicle. Some insurance companies require the claim to be filed within a certain window of time. If you don’t do this, you could lose your claim. This will protect the interests of the injured party by notifying all responsible individuals and entities that the client has been injured as a result of the negligence of the owner and operator of the offending vehicle.

Begin Immediate Medical Treatment

If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident and are experiencing discomfort in your neck and back, it is imperative that you begin treatment with a chiropractor and physical therapist. Spinal injuries can get worse if they aren’t treated correctly. Neck and back injuries require rehabilitation since the nerves and discs are out of place, causing numbness and tingling into the upper and lower extremities. If chiropractic care and physical therapy do not resolve the neck and back issues sustained by the plaintiff, pain management and possible surgery are the next steps in the treatment process.

If you have broken bones, they should be set in a cast and you should begin treatment with an orthopedic doctor. If you have sustained injuries to your knees, shoulder or legs, you should have an immediate MRI to determine if you have torn a meniscus or ligament.

Notify Your Own Insurance Carrier

If you maintained your own motor vehicle insurance on the date you are injured by a company-owned vehicle, you should notify your own insurance carrier that you have been involved in an accident and will require medical treatment. In the event the vehicle which caused your accident did not carry sufficient insurance to pay for your bills or to compensate you for your injuries, you may be forced to make a claim against your own insurance policy to make up the difference.

Your attorney should be able to handle the insurance and court claims. They’ll also be able to mediate with the company that owned the vehicle you were injured by. They’re particularly important because the company will almost certainly have lawyers trying to combat any claims. Find a reliable attorney to handle this for you so that you can focus on healing.

Author information: Bio: Anita is a freelance writer from Denver, CO. She studied at Colorado State University and now writes articles about health, business, family, and finance. A mother of two, she enjoys traveling with her family whenever she isn’t writing. You can follow her on Twitter @anitaginsburg.

Bob Kraft

I am a Dallas, Texas lawyer who has had the privilege of helping thousands of clients since 1971 in the areas of Personal Injury law and Social Security Disability.

About This Blog

The title of this blog reflects my attitude toward those government agencies and insurance companies that routinely mistreat injured or disabled people. As a Dallas, Texas lawyer, I've spent more than 45 years trying to help those poor folk, and I have been frustrated daily by the actions of the people on the other side of their claims. (Sorry if I offended you...)

If you find this type of information interesting or helpful, please visit my law firm's main website at You will find many more articles and links. Thank you for your time.

Find us on your preferred network